Chief Payload Engineer
Location: El Cajon
Posted on: November 20, 2023
Description The Space Systems Research Branch within the Leidos
Innovation Center at Leidos currently has an opening for a Chief
Payload Engineer to work in our San Diego, CA office. This is an
exciting opportunity to use your experience leading the engineering
design, build and test Overhead Persistent Infrared (OPIR) payloads
where Leidos is transforming the payload solutions for the
- Responsible for applied research and advanced engineering in
the development of new electro-optical/Infrared (EO/IR) sensors,
components, and subassemblies.
- On a project basis, directs and coordinates all activities
necessary to complete major projects requiring a wide variety of
- Organizes and reviews technical effort, documentation, and
deliverables on contracts in conjunction with program management
- Serves as the technical lead for assigned EO/IR system
proposals and assists in developing and screening research and
development proposals within the department. Assists managers in
identifying and evaluating company technical capabilities which
will help strengthen proposals, key technologies, and investment
strategies directed toward company growth. Assists in evaluating
technical capabilities of prospective and existing
employees.Recognized authority in the design, assembly, test, and
operation of EO/IR sensors in all domains (ground, air, space) who
is capable of handling challenging environments.
- Communication skills necessary to advise, counsel, and/or guide
people on complex matters.
- Success is highly dependent upon the level and proficiency of
communication/writing skills.Basic Qualifications
- Must have a Secret security clearance.
- Experience in Space product design, development, and test is
- Bachelor's degree with 12+ years of prior relevant experience
or Masters with 10+ years of prior relevant experience. May possess
a Doctorate in technical domain.
- Specialized experience includeing the use of structured
analysis, design methodologies and/or design tools in the
development and implementation of large projects and experience
leading EO/IR sensor assembly, integration, and test.
- Creative problem solver and demonstrate a broad ranging
technical management and team development experience encompassing:
Electro-optical multispectral and hyperspectral imaging sensors for
ground, airborne and space applications, Visible and infrared focal
plane arrays and photo-detector technology, Process and system
development, Failure and reliability engineering, Risk analysis and
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearanceLInC Pay
Range: Pay Range $118,300.00 - $182,000.00 - $245,700.00 The Leidos
pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a
guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered
in extending an offer include (but are not limited to)
responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge,
skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with
market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other
Keywords: Leidos, El Cajon , Chief Payload Engineer, Engineering , El Cajon, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!